SAP Leonardo is the newest hype in the SAP ecosystem, everyone is talking about it, but most people do not yet understand what it is.
SAP Leonardo started as the name for SAP IoT related solutions which are sold as ready to use packages. Since May 2017 Leonardo has extended with new elements.
Now Leonardo helps you to rapidly design, prototype and deploy industry specific IoT solutions on the SAP Cloud Platform.
It is a digital innovation system which enables customers to rapidly create new innovative applications based on the SAP Cloud Platform. Going from System of Records to System of Intelligence, SAP Leonardo will make your SAP applications more intelligent and enables you to make new applications to make business processes more efficient or create new business models.
SAP Leonardo consists of several, mostly SAP Cloud Platform based, components which help customers to innovate easily. The overview below shows how these components together make Leonardo:
- SAP Leonardo Bridge combines real-time information from connected things with business processes to turn extended supply chains into live supply chain environments. This is where the information from several sources comes together and is presented to users of the system.
- Several pre-packaged solutions are available in six different functional areas. These solutions already use Leonardo foundation and can be purchased from SAP.
- Connected products for a new view on products, customer service and maintenance of connected products for both professional and private usage.
- Connected assets for the monitoring and analysis of fixed assets, including manufacturing and maintenance processes, to reduce costs and maximize an asset’s productive life.
- Connected fleet for companies to track and monitor their movable assets and products. This will improve the quality of service for logistics and products itself.
- Connected infrastructure for digital, operational intelligence in physical infrastructures such as power networks, pipelines, roads, sewer systems, and other major infrastructure, helps improve service quality, make operations more efficient, and have reliable compliance and risk mitigation.
- Connected markets like information about the conditions in a city, water condition, or agricultural land. Combining this data will enable digital farming, smart harbors, and smart cities.
- Connected people for better life, both at home or at work. Connecting people relieves them of routine tasks and makes life more enjoyable.
- SAP Leonardo Edge Computing enables you to process data on the edge and sending it to the core when possible. Not all data generated by devices is sent to the core and transport to the core is managed by SAP Leonardo Edge Computing. This is useful for scenario’s where network connectivity is limited or unstable or where so much data is generated that edge processing is needed to prevent network congestion.
- SAP Leonardo foundation includes business and technical services to enable Leonardo solutions. These services are explained in detail below.
Internet of Things
The IoT service in SAP Leonardo helps you to easily and securely connect devices to the platform. The information flowing from and to these devices is managed by this service. The pre-packaged IoT solutions make use of the service to communicate with devices.
The following IoT solutions are offered in SAP Leonardo:
- SAP Connected Goods — Connect, monitor, and control a large number of customer-facing products – such as beverage coolers, freezers, coffee makers, and vending machines. Connect IoT devices to your back-end systems, trigger alerts, and get actionable insight into product usage patterns, service, and quality.
- SAP Vehicle Insights — Monitor live vehicle conditions and run powerful connected car analytics. The cloud-based app can help you collect, map, store, and analyze sensor data in real time. Integrate with automotive telematics data to improve services and create new business models and opportunities.
- SAP Asset Intelligence Network — Access four key pillars: network, content, integration, and applications. These pillars help original equipment manufacturers, operators, and service providers connect machines and businesses to meet asset management challenges head on.
- SAP Predictive Maintenance and Service — Leverage predictive maintenance tools to use the Internet of Things (IoT), the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), and machine-to-machine (M2M) technology to transform field service and asset management.
Machine learning allows automated pattern recognition in data and acting upon these patterns. By acting on patterns new insights become available which are new input for the machine learning process. This circular approach will make the machine learning algorithm better with each iteration.
Learning can be done in three ways:
- Supervised learning, where human interaction is needed to make the algorithm better with each iteration.
- Semi-supervised learning, where the machine is rewarded or penalized for choices it made which enables the machine to enhance the algorithm.
- Unsupervised learning, where the machine finds patterns on its own without human intervention.
The following machine learning solutions are offered in SAP Leonardo:
- SAP Service Ticketing, makes the customer service ticket process more efficient by directing issues to the correct agent quickly, who can then offer options for troubleshooting.
- SAP Customer Retention, sifts through data to predict things like cross- and upsell and loyalty
- SAP Cash Application: This tool can see how humans do things like match incoming bank statements to open receivables like invoices
- SAP Job Matching, which connects job seekers to recruiters.
- SAP Resume Matching, to help recruiters hunt down the right applicants for a position.
- SAP Job Standardization, which helps businesses create accurate and unbiased job descriptions
- SAP Brand Impact uses deep learning to help businesses track who is sharing their brand images in near-real time on social media and elsewhere online.
- SAP CoPilot uses machine learning to offer customers an automated digital assistant to aid in internal communications and conversations with vendors.
SAP Analytics solutions are split into three categories:
- Business Intelligence – for data visualization and analysis for both desktop and mobile.
- Predictive Analytics – used for data modelling and management of predictive analysis.
- Planning – Embed collaboration tools and analytics directly into your planning processes and dramatically simplify and speed up financial planning and analysis (FP&A).
The Big Data service is not yet available in SAP Leonardo. In the near future, it will contain SAP Vora, a distributed computing solution based on HANA, which can help you uncover actionable business insights from Big Data. Use SAP HANA to run enriched, interactive analytics on both enterprise data and Hadoop data, quickly and easily. SAP HANA Vora runs on Hadoop and builds upon Apache Spark.
Design thinking is a methodology helps you generate new ideas. It is not an SAP specific methodology but it is used within SAP to help customers to find innovative solutions which they probably would not have thought of immediately. AppHaus is SAPs creative space where design thinking sessions are held. AppHauses can be found in Heidelberg, Palo Alto, Korea and Berlin.
While blockchain is an innovation that is not yet available in SAP Leonardo, the plans have been made available already. SAP Cloud Platform Blockchain will allow IoT devices to securely trigger business processes which can also reach suppliers and customers. We will soon publish blogs explaining how blockchain can be used within your organization.
Data Intelligence is used to include anonymized data for decision making. This data can be used within machine learning and predictive functionality. An example of this is publically available historical weather information.
So, what is the benefit of SAP Leonardo? As with HANA it starts with a big hype and knowing SAP, they will push it onto customers everywhere they can. But this does not make it a good or bad system. The combination of ready to use solutions and an innovation platform make SAP Leonardo very powerful. Because the platform contains a lot of innovation accelerators it can really boost your innovative execution power and help you from a System of Records to a System of Intelligence. The world is digitizing, and so should you!